Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

20,130 Aluminum Cans

I'm so proud of my middle schoolers at Mount Jordan Middle School. For about 7 weeks, we've done a targeted recycling drive to raise money by collecting aluminum cans. Unfortunately, the metals market tanked when the stock market went haywire. What started off as 65 cents a pound in September ended up being 28 cents a pound by November.

In the end, it wasn't about the money raised, it was about the cans. We kept those cans out of the landfill, and that was what was most important.

In the process, I learned a lot about how to run a recycling program. I learned that middle schoolers are motivated by candy! I learned that a $100 grand prize was enough to motivate a small group of students to bring over 1/2 of the total amount of cans.

We'll do it in the spring, but for now, I'm relieved that the can project is over...and was successful.

Check it out on http://cansformountjordan.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Shadow said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Shadow said...

Do you do the blog for the school site too? if so, you are amazing with all you do! WHen I grow up can I be like you, just without the moody side? LOL...

Wendy said...

Oh, I hope when people grow up that they only inherit my good qualities ;-) That's the danger with my littlest, though..she's a mini-me...the good, the bad and the ugly. Yep. I do the school site, too. I have FOUR blogs...I'm a blog-o-addict.