Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Ah...the makeup battles

I don't really remember exactly when I began wearing make up. I know that it wasn't a discussion point; it just kind of happened. I'm sure I "borrowed" makeup from my mom. The next door lady was an Avon Lady, so I got lots of free stuff from her. Sometimes she paid me for babysitting with make up.

I don't remember having fights with my mom about makeup, probably because my mom wore a lot of makeup herself, and there really wasn't a lot she could say anything. I, however, have not been so lucky in escaping "the makeup debate." Now, Mariah...she looks hideous without makeup. It's a fact. She'll even say it's so. When she hit 12, it was a gift to all of us when she started slathering on the foundation. She has always gone way overboard on the eye make up. Last year, I had to pay a professional 50 bucks to photo edit her eyes in our family picture so they didn't look like two black spiders. (True story).

Elle...oh, Elle. She is beautiful without makeup. She has a wonderful skin tone, and I hate to see her cover it up. We agreed (finally) that this year she could begin wearing mascara. It makes her eyes look really pretty. I don't think she wears anything but eye makeup. She really doesn't need it.

I have an illogical aversion to eye liner. I think it is hideous! I especially hate thick, black eyeliner. I REALLY hat thick, black eyeliner on Elle....for all of the reasons I've mentioned.

I know, I know, I know...."somethings don't really matter." "Let her express herself with her makeup at least it's not a tattoo." (A-hem) "Pick your battles." "It's not worth the fight." I know. I really do know all of those things. But let's face it, I'm imperfect (and that is an understatement!)

The other night Elle was in tears as we were negotiating when she could wear the offensive eye liner. First I said, "9th Grade." She didn't like that answer. I finally said that we'd re-evaluate the situation in February....just in time for her to get all over-done for Valentine's Day *sigh*.
I wrote the following poem for Elle. I'm not a poet, and I definitely don't have the panache for iambic pentameter or any pentameter for that matter. But I meant what I wrote. I gave it to her (cowardly, I left it for her to find before school). It might work for a few months, I think in February that I'll be forced to look the other way as she applies more eye-liner than Adam Lambert.


Those Beautiful Eyes

Elle, Oh, Elle…what can I say?
You’re growing faster and faster every day.


The girl in the picture has beautiful eyes

I wonder if she can realize….


Those eyes are the window to her soul.

Grey-green in color with a black center like coal


Your eyes tell when you’re happy, sad or upset;

Sometimes your eyes say you’re filled with regret.


Your eyes help you see the beauty all around:

A fine painting, the clouds…beauty abounds


With those eyes, you look for the love of your dad.

He looks back with his eyes when you’re feeling bad.


Your eyes have seen heaven before you were born.

Your eyes will see God again on resurrection morn.


Do you see how wonderful and special your eyes are?

Do you see why I want them to be how they are?


Some girls line their eyes with black lines thin or fat--

Your eyes are so perfect there’s no need for that!


I know you want to go your own way.

I know you disagree with what I have to say.


Know that I love you and your beautiful eyes.

I know that someday I will compromise.


For now, however, let those eyes shine

Before we surround them with a black line.


2 comments:

Janalyn said...

I don't understand eye liner either. I really don't get the concept of it. Elle looks better without it :)

Becky said...

LOL! Elle is absolutely beautiful but I soooo remember my own days of purple eyeshadow. Yikes! You are definitely a poet, Miss Wendy! Only a poet can relate the eyes to seeing God and then how a "black line" can interfere. Love it!