Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Swearing in Day...

On August 16, 2010 Bradley officially enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. This was not something that was random or not thought through. Bradley has been considering the Corps for over a year. In fact, as we helped him plan what he might do after high school, he considered a lot of different options. The military just seemed "right" for him. On his 18th birthday, we took him down to the recruiting office, and the serious process really started then.
Joining the Corps was contingent upon receiving a high school diploma. Once that was accomplished in early August, the rest fell into place for him. August 16th is our anniversary, so we'll remember this day quite easily. Dean and I changed our anniversary plans just a bit to incorporate a visit to the military processing center...with time to spare before we witnessed this.

"I, Bradley Alexander Davis, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

This is Sgt. Pottin (aka in our family as Sgt. Harry Potter, but he seriously hated the one and only time I called him that to his face...whoopsie!)

Proud papa. Dean and I are very proud of Bradley's decision. He's had a rough go of life for most of his adolescence. Some rough patches were brought on by himself but others were external factors over which he had no control. He's come at life the hard way. We are proud of his choice and his decision to serve. He will be GREAT at whatever he chooses to do with his life, and for this season, we're confident that he'll be a great Marine.

Mariah really wanted to be there, but unfortunately, we couldn't manage to get from Park City, pick up the girls, get Mariah AND get back in time. She'll be there for the send off and for graduation day, though!


Let me say this in closing. I have spent years of my life writing about the Iraq war and how much I disagree with it. Never mistake my dissatisfaction with an administration as criticism for the US Military. I said as much in my thesis. I am very, very proud of Bradley. His grandfather (Mike) was in the Navy, his great-grandpa Denkins was a career military man, many people in my family have served in the military for generations. I'm proud of them all. I may rant about this political thing or that war, but I will always be proud of Bradley and his involvement in the military. We love you Bradley and are very excited for your future!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i am proud of him, too. yay for this decision and choice.

Daisy said...

Congratulations Bradley! It seems like yesterday he was a deacon in the downtown ward. Why does time have to go so fast?

Bradley, you will be in our prayers. Please keep us updated (Wendy)!