Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Dr. Maya Angelou inspires me!

Today at our users conference in Philadelphia, Dr. Maya Angelou was our keynote speaker at our introductory session. She was fabulous. I went with no expectations, and I left uplifted and inspired to be a better person.

I'm in wonder of her personal history and enamoured by her colorful stories. Her easy manner invited me to peer into her life in a unique way. She sang, read poetry, made us laugh, made us cry, told stories, told jokes and touched many hearts today.

She talked about being a rainbow in the cloud. She sang: "When it looked like the sun wasn't going to shine anymore, God put a rainbow in the clouds."

She used life stories to expound upon "a rainbow in the clouds." Essentially, the rainbow represents hope, and she spoke of the rainbows in her life who encouraged her, taught her and loved her. She talked about her Uncle Willie and his far-reaching influence in the lives of those who he did not know because he cared enough to believe in one young boy.

I wish I could be more like her.

I am going to try harder to be a rainbow in the lives of others and not the thunderstorm, the lightening bolt or the impeding cloud of darkness.

I'm a better person today because listened to her.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What an amazing experience. She is an amazing woman.