Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Philadephia Freedom: Reflections on our recent trip

One year when I was three or four years old, my parents took my sister, my Uncle Bill and me on a tour the great cities of the east. We went to Philadelphia, New York and Washington, D.C. If we went other places, I don't remember them. Below is a picture of me (being held by my Uncle Bill) and my mom (holding my sister) in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia, PA.


I wish I could tell you that I have great memories of this trip, but I don't. I DO remember the Liberty Bell. I can only imagine that my mom made a big deal of it because it is so ingrained in my memory. When I returned to Independence Hall 35 years later, I asked one of the park rangers if the Liberty Bell was ever outside (it is now housed in a nice indoor facility). He assured me that my 4 year old memory had been correct; until quite recently, the Bell was outside.
Two weeks ago, I was with Dean and Bradley at Independence Hall. It was my 39th birthday, and I can't think of a better way to spend the day. I have always been patriotic. A lot of that has to do with my parents. A lot of it has to do with my Kindergarten program in 1976. I learned every patriotic song that a Kindergartner could learn, and I've never forgotten those feelings I had in the 70s.
When I was 18, I caught Potomac fever on a trip to D.C. I decided to study political science and pursue a career of public service in state government. While I have temporarily left my ambitions of public service, I have never lost my passion for my freedom and my government that enables that freedom.
The feeling at Independence Hall was overwhelming. To stand in the halls where the founding fathers worked out the details of the Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution...how can you not be moved? I was so amazed to be standing in the same room where Washington, Franklin, John Hancock...and so many others stood. I was honored to see the chair where General Washington presided over what I consider to be sacred events.
Next time I'm in Philadelphia, I plan on spending time at the Constitution Center.

Here are a few pics of our day.

Wendy and Dean at the Liberty Bell

The outside of Independence Hall (compare to 35 years ago, photo above)
The back entrance of Independence Hall.
This is one of my favorite pictures...from inside the Pennsylvania Statehouse.

Is is "the place" where the AofC, DofI and US Constitution were all created and signed.

The chair behind the desk in the background was the one that was George Washington's chair.

What a place!

No comments: