Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Empowering my 11 Year Old

A few weeks ago, Dominique said, "I'm almost positive that I'm going to be a vegetarian." Dean and I were like, "Okay." Then on Wednesday she said, "I've decided; I'm now a vegetarian." When we asked her what precipitated this choice, she said, "Because eating animals is murder." Oh my goodness. I'm liberal, but I love my meat.

I told her that God made animals for us to eat. To which she said, "We're all animals, so why don't we eat each other." Seriously? I said, "We are mammals, but we're not quite the same as chickens and cows." I was going to explain the whole poseable thumb and upright walking and ability to reason thing, but I stopped there.

I said, "How are you going to get your protein?" This is a big point of contention at our house. You can't just eat carbs for a meal...like "Hashbrowns," not a meal. "Mac and Cheese," sounds like two things, but it's really only one...and not a meal (in my mind). "Top Ramen," not only just carbs...but hardly in the food chain.

I said, "What about if we get you organically grown chicken." I explained how the chickens are treated humanely, not plumped up and injected with chemicals just for us to eat them. When she heard that they were "happy chickens" before their little heads were chopped off, she was cool with that.

So....today, I took her grocery shopping with me. We went to the poultry section and we looked at a package of chicken. It was a few bucks for three chicken breasts...boneless, skinless. Then I told her to support her new status as a "pseudo-vegetarian," we would go to the healthy store (it's like Whole Foods but it has a different name.) I've been in this store exactly once to buy chicken broth...an only because I forgot to get it at the other store.

We found a package of frozen, organically grown chicken breasts. We read the label to make sure the chickens were un-injected, farm grown and happy before they were butchered. Cost of about 6 frozen chicken breasts....$25.00!

I'm so not kidding.

I told her that I would support her new cause with ONE bag of chicken breasts a month. The ENTIRE grocery bill at the real store...for meals planned through Sunday dinner was $137.00.

I want to be supportive, but is there a cheaper way I can be supportive. I'm making pot roast on Saturday night. Let's see how long she holds out. I'll be proud of her if she does. I'll be proud of her if she doesn't. I'll be proud of her no matter what. I'm glad that she's making her own choices and making a stance for something she thinks is important!

1 comment:

Karlie said...

WHAT!!! I think more people would eat organic if it wasn't so dang expensive. Cute Dom, eat up those happy chickens HA!