Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm going to miss "ER"

For 15 years ER has been a part of my life. For those who are counting, the show has been on TV for longer than 3 of 4 of our kiddos have been ALIVE. As I watched the final show with Mariah tonight, I said, "This show is older than you are!"

I'm shamelessly addicted to TV. I don't even care what others might think about the amount of TV I watch. I have an ability to get a tremendous amount done in my life. DVR has helped me take 60 minutes and condense it down to 40. TV on DVD is also one of my favorite inventions, but I digress.

In the past, I have LIVED for ER. I have spent countless hours talking with friends about the plots, the characters and the ER experience.

Be still my heart, George Clooney is still my favorite pediatrician. I decided in 1994 that I would never have children after watching that heart stopping episode where Dr. Greene pushes the baby back into the uterus. Ewee...watching that again tonight made me squeamish. Never liked Carol Hathaway..and still don't. I always knew that Benton had a soft spot in his heart for Carter. John Carter was probably my all time favorite character. I dig Noah.

In later years...my Croatian...Goran, became Luka. I loved listening for his Croatian phrases that he threw in there every once in a while. I really like Maura Tierney, but I was never a big Abby Lockhart fan. I liked Linda Cardellini from the beginning, and John Stamos wasn't hard to look at each week.

Some memorable ER scenes:
1) That whole pushing the baby back in thing...
2) Dr. Ross rescues the boy in the storm drain
3) Lucy and Carter getting stabbed...that one still gives me nightmares
4) George Clooney's cameo when Carol moves to Seattle
5) Mark Greene's last episode...cried like a baby
6) Benton's last episode...cried like a baby
7) Romano's arm getting hacked off
8) Anspaugh's son dying of cancer (this is where I first heard "Time of Your Life" by Green Day)
9) Romano being done in by a helicopter (freaky)
10) Basketball in the ambulance bay (no particular episode)

The finale wasn't particularly memorable, but it was a perfect way to "end" the story. I'm so glad that they didn't shut down County...have a sappy ending....it was all about "life goes on." The next generation of doctors will come and go, and the ER will just keep on keeping on. I loved the subtlety of Gaines and Sam getting back together. I liked the fact that I was left wondering what was going on with Carter's wife. I liked the fact that I felt like those folks would never really have another reason to come together again (after the opening of the Carter Center).

It was a perfect ending to a great show.

For 15 years, I've spent my Thursday nights with the folks on ER. I'm not sure a show will have that kind of longevity again any time in the near future.

Thanks for the memories. Now, I need to buy the DVDs one season at a time so I can have my ER fix when I need it.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You are so right. I'm going to miss this show. Watching the hour before the finale made we think I need to start watching it from the beginning again. So many good memories. I completely agree with your list. My first favorite had to be Dr. Green, then Carter, then Romano. The whole Carter/Lucy ordeal was so intense but I think it nearly killed me when Romano was fighting to save her and then realized she was gone. Heart wrenching. The other scene that freaks me out was Cynthia Nixon as the stroke victim. Yikes. Please don't let that happen to me. As for TV addictions I am right there with you and DVR has to be one of the greatest inventions of our generation, that and that video phone hub thing that has been advertised recently. How cool is that?