Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Why I Will Miss Michael Jackson

I can't believe that he has passed away. I really can't. A lot has been said on twitter, Facebook and on news services regarding Michael Jackson. The day he passed away, I downloaded Thriller on itunes and a few of my other Michael favs and had my Michael "moment."

I remember being very young and dancing to "Rockin' Robin." I had it on an old 45. My kids won't know what those are, but that's ok. I love the oldies from the Jackson Five. I love "ABC." I love the catchy tunes and the young Michael as the front man. Boy, do I have great memories of those old tunes.

I remember getting my first record player. It was a BIG deal. It was a clunky portable. I had a carrier for my 45s. I spend hours and hours and hours in my room listening to my tunes. Today if I close my eyes, I can see my bedroom in great detail and remember feeling really, really happy.

Thriller came out in 1982. In 1982, I was in the 6th grade at Broadmoor Intermediate School. Thriller was the first LP I bought for myself. My kids won't know what an LP is either, but that's ok. I LOVED that album. I played it again and again and again. I danced, sang and rocked out when no one was home.

I remember spending money on a Michael Jackson poster for my room. My mom did not like the poster, and that made me like it even more! I, like every other girl I knew, had a fascination (and perhaps a bit of a crush) on Michael Jackson.

In junior high, we danced our butts off to Michael Jackson songs. What fun, fun times. Remember when your best friend asked his best friend if he would dance with you? Ah, the good old days!

In high school, I listened to Michael Jackson. I spent way more time than I care to admit watching MTV. Remember when the V-Jays were big, big names? Those days are gone. I remember that we made an "event" out of the Thriller premier. We all gathered at Mike's house to watch it. What an MTV video event. Michael's videos were awesome, and they always set the standard. Other followed suit with great videos, but Michael's were the best.

When I was in college, you guessed it...Michael's music was still there...and still associated with memories from the good old days. I loved the Bad album. I had it on cassette tape. My kids know what they are, but they don't possess one or a tape player, but that's ok.

One of my all time favorite Michael songs is "Black or White." I LOVE that song. I have spent many a shower session belting out the lyrics. I love the video.

Without question, Michael Jackson and his music is one of the things that defined my youth. A song can bring back a thousand memories that remind me of a date, time, location and happening. One song can bring me back to high school. One song can bring me to a college party or remembering tunes blaring from the windows of Geisert.

Michael Jackson was a phenomenal artist, performer, and dancer. I LOVE his music. I'm deeply saddened that we will no longer experience future Michael Jackson creations. I'm happy that I still can listen to my favorite Michael songs whenever I need to be reminded of a good memory from my youth. Michael's music did not impact one time period of my life; it has impacted MOST of my life...from youth to adulthood. There are not many artist who have ever lived who can say that.

I'm deeply saddened for his family. I certainly hope that in Heaven there is a place for musicians to be re-united and sing with the angel choir. If there is, I'm sure that Michael is there...and probably teaching them a thing or two!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good times. I have a journal from when I eleven. In it I devoted six entire pages to how excited I was when I got the Thriller album. My eleven year old self writing about how good all the songs are and rating each one. I too spent my own money on a poster of Michael, the one in the yellow sweater, and I hung it from my ceiling so I could "wake up and have it be the first thing I see" That is a little embarrassing, but I was eleven. I bought Michael Jackson buttons that I proudly wore on my suspenders. Yes, suspenders. Finally, my excitement was capped off when dad rented a VCR player and the Thriller video. My brothers and sisters begged to check out Thriller: The Making of Thriller and Rattle Hum over and over again. Good times.

Roxanne Blanford said...

What a wonderful, honest and, obviously, heartfelt tribute. I am still stunned and deeply saddened by his abrupt departure, and have been struggling with celebrating his life and music and talent, and with mourning the loss and regretting the troubles he endured. Thank you for sharing your impressions and memories. It's incredible how many people this one man touched, and how far reaching his impact has been.
I wrote a little online journal about this event as well.
http://rroxanne.livejournal.com/1806.html