Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What happened to playing "school" with paper and pencils?

So...today I was cleaning out my bookshelves. Some books got donated, some were given away and some were to be sold. I typically do a quick thumb through the books to see if there is any writing in them. I found this book:

I have my own copy of this classic, but this one belonged to one of the girls. I think it is Elle's. As I opened the book, I saw this....


Then this.....

At first I was irritated that there was writing in the book...then I looked closer....she made her own fake laptop, and she did a pretty good rendition. (Clearly, she doesn't know what a QWERTY keyboard is, but that's not a big surprise.)
She even drew the side of the laptop! Ingenious!

I don't know why she did this, but I'm guessing that one day she was either dreaming of having a laptop or was playing a game where she needed a laptop.

One thing that dismays me about the kiddos is that they don't like to read. It is a constant fight. I found it completely ironic that the laptop drawing was done in a book. I wish I could inspire them to READ books...and not just use them as props. It's a constant battle.

I try to tell them that it is a blessing and gift to be able to read. I try to explain that they get to do pretty much whatever they want, and all I ask is 30 minutes of reading a day. You'd think I'd asked them to eat a salad-only diet or something...they are that opposed to the idea.

*Sigh* I'll keep trying. I am a voracious reader. I can't imagine my life without it. Interestingly enough, I can't imagine my life without my laptop, either. I'm guessing that they learned that last part from me, too. I'm only hoping to have more influence on the first part.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Oh, I hope you keep that laptop book. That's hilarious!

Unknown said...

that cracks me up, too! I hope they will become voracious readers someday, I can't imagine not reading every day.

Melissa said...

Here's your solution. ebooks on the laptop. : ) Don't fret, they'll come around. You definitely set a great example.