Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

On being impulsive

When Dean and I were first married, we were trying to fall asleep one night in the summer, and he said, "Pancakes sure do sound good right now." So, at around midnight, I said, "Let's go to IHOP." We rounded up Bradley, Mariah and Mariah's friend who was spending the night and we headed to IHOP. The kids STILL talk about that 7 years later. The spontaneity of it all and the fact that we went to IHOP in our PJs in the middle of the night was so exciting to them that they still talk about it. (The irony of Dean's "I want pancakes comment" was that he didn't even order pancakes when we got there; he had chicken friend steak.)

Last week, I was watching the local evening news when I learned that there was a meteor shower that night. That sounded kind of cool, so at 10:30 PM, I looked up the observatory in Tooele County (which was opened that night for the occasion), did a crash course on you tube on how to change the aperture on my camera, loaded the kids in the van with blankets and headed out to Stansbury Park (which is approximately 50 minutes away). Mariah's boyfriend had just dropped her off, so he went with us.

I have always been amazed at all things space related. I don't even begin to pretend that I comprehend anything about stars, planets, galaxies and outer space, but I do think it's really, really cool. One of my favorite places to visit during a visit to Chicago is the Adler Planetarium. I've probably been there a dozen times.

By the time we got to Stansbury Park, all of the kids were asleep. The crisp air woke them right up. We went out with a couple hundred other crazy people to the observation area and waited for burning particles to fall from the sky.

The first time I ever saw a meteor was in 1995. I was on my way to St. George, Utah. I had picked up two hitch-hiking teenage boys in Cedar City. I said, "I will take you to St. George if you promise not to kill me." One of the kids said, "We'll get in the car if you promise not to kill us." Deal. I saw unbelievable meteors that night. I had no idea what they were! I asked the two kids, and they had seen them hundreds of times. I knew them as "falling stars," but that is not really what they are at all. I know just how brilliant they can look in the desert sky, and I wanted the kids to see.

It is near next to impossible to catch a meteor with a camera, and I missed so many of them while fiddling with my tripod and camera. The oohs and ahhs were reminiscent of the 4th of July. Eventually, I saw some really cool ones streaking across the sky.

While I didn't get a picture of a meteor, I took this rad picture of the Big Dipper.
I also caught this picture of Jupiter. (You're going to have to just believe me that it really is Jupiter). It was the "brightest star" in the sky, but when Elle and Dom asked the astronomer, he told them it was Jupiter. They thought that was super cool.
The star party ended for us when 1) it got kinda cold and 2) when the sprinklers adjacent to the viewing area came on. A load of people laying out there got sprayed with water at 1:15 AM. I wasn't going to take the chance with my camera equipment...nor was I excited about a van full of wet kids and wet blankets. We packed up and headed home (and this time I remembered to turn the headlights on! ARRGGH!)

I had covered my flash with blue tape so that it wouldn't disturb others. I took this funky picture of Garrett (in the back of the fan) and Elle. The blue glow is from the tape on the flash. We got hot chocolates and headed home.
I had a good time, and I hope the kids did, too. I'm not as spontaneous as I used to be....but when the bug hits me, I'm going to try and act on it a bit more. Life is short. There's no harm in spending a few hours chasing a thunderstorm, looking at a meteor shower or creating an IHOP memory that will last a lifetime.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Love this story. Call me next time you head to the observatory. Watching the meteor showers is one of my FAVORITE things to do! We happened to be at a BBQ the other night when it was happening and Marcela came and said, "Mommy, I just saw a light zoom across the sky." I told her there would be tons of "falling stars" and that she should go watch for more. She came back a few minutes later and said, "Mommy, I'm looking down for the stars cause they're 'falling.'"

Way to be spontaneous! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures.

Unknown said...

Wendy,

I have been an amateur astronomer for nearly 30 years. Sometimes people call it "that stuff" and don't really see the connection between themselves and the sky.

When I hear stories like yours, told with such enthusiasm, it makes me smile. Introducing children to the wonders of the sky is something that will last a lifetime. That was always my goal when I lectured at the local planetarium.

Of course, that works both ways. I derive such pleasure as well. The last time I was at the Adler (during an academic conference), the colleague with whom I attended the sky show asked me to tell her about the stars (while we were sitting beneath the darkened dome). I waited until the end of the show, went up to the control console, explained that I used to do that, then asked to borrow the pointer. They killed the lights and I was able to give my friend an impromptu introduction to the sky. We both left very happy.

All this is to say, loved the photos, loved the story of your spontaneity. Yes, it is true, they will remember. Tammy's friends still talk about the backyard sky shows I gave them 25 years ago. Those kinds of memories also get passed on to their kids.

Good stuff. You made my day!

Carolyn

Karlie said...

Love the story, I thought about going somewhere that night as well, but I was in my bed as I thought about it and then I fell asleep. It is fun to be spontaneous.