Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

"Japan Sweaty"

Our time in Tokyo was short, but I am glad that we spent the time and the money to see a few of the sites.

Our trip to Tokyo was super easy. There is a direct, non-stop from Salt Lake City to Tokyo. Nice! Sure, it might be a 12 hour flight....but THAT'S it! No transfers....seriously, it's super easy. I must say that my experience through immigration and customs in Tokyo was also really easy...as was baggage. I was really impressed with the Japanese efficiency (or perhaps we just got lucky). After a 2 hour bus ride to our hotel, we arrived in Shinju-ku (the Tokyo business district).

Famished, we sought out sustenance. A spaghetti place was nearby...yep spaghetti Japanese style. I found that when hungry, I can eat spaghetti with chopsticks; my Italian ancestors would either be proud or mortified, not sure of which.

On Saturday morning we jumped on a tour bus and headed out into the Japanese heat. I'm from Illinois, so I respect a good dose of humidity. But I have to tell you that this day in Tokyo was beyond hot and humid; it was OPPRESSIVE. Seriously, just standing there, we were sweating...and I mean buckets. Now when Dean and I are talking about the heat, we compare everything to how hot it was in Tokyo. Alternately, we call it "Japan Sweaty." Despite all of the sweating, we had a nice time and are very grateful that we had the opportunity to visit.

This is me at the Meiji Shrine.
Dean at the Shrine.
The flowers at the Imperial Garden-East.
Imperial Garden-East
Sweating buckets...I seriously think I had heat exhaustion after this stop. It was so miserable. The walking was not strenous at all, but the heat was so terrible that it felt like I'd run miles.
The 5 story pagoda at Asakusa
Buddhist Temple at Asakusa
Me at Asakusa


So many people at the market on a hot, sunny day.

1 comment:

Misty said...

Wendy, your photos are amazing. What an exciting trip! And, I like to think your Italian ancestors are smiling on you. Any way to eat pasta is a good way, no? :)