Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

President Jimmy Carter, please pick up on line 4

I put this as my FB status, but it was such a hoot that it deserves a bit more explanation. Today is President's Day, and what do all good Americans do on President's Day? Well, of course, we shop. I stopped by my favorite ghetto Sears store in downtown SLC to buy some new shoes. I was completely sucked into the bowels of the store by enticements of "Up to 70% Off" signs wooing me deeper and deeper into the store.

I made my way to the women's shoe section when I hear, "President Obama, please dial" (then some number was stated). At first I thought that some smart ass clerk was just messing around. Then I hear a page for Presidents Bush and Ford. I thought that everyone at the Sears store had lost their damn minds!

I asked the shoe clerk what was going on. She told me that in honor of President's Day that the store management had taken on the names of the Presidents. I said, "How do you know who Obama is?" She said, "Oh, that's the store manager." She then explained that Bush was the assistant manager, Clinton was the manager below the assistant manager and so forth. Quite clever if you ask me.

A woman who over heard our conversation then said to the clerk, "So who are you, Nancy Reagan?"

As I bought 3 pair of shoes, two handbags, two dresses, 2 coats, four shirts and a pair of mittens, I enjoyed hearing the paging of our US Presidents. Hey, at least they were recognizing that the holiday actually had a meaning beyond that of exercising our capitalism.

I love my ghetto Sears.

No comments: