Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to School

I love this time of year! It's that time of year when the days of summer wind down, it starts to get darker a bit earlier each night, and it's time to go back to school! New clothes, hair cuts, new teachers, in some cases new schools...new beginnings. The advent of fall means the anticipation of football season, crisp days and changing colors.

This year, I'm a bit reflective. When Bradley first came to school in Utah, he was eleven years old and in the 6th grade. Today, Dominique is 11 years old and in the 6th grade. That blows me away. On top of that, Bradley is a SENIOR. Honestly, there were times that I didn't think I'd live to see this happen. It's been a very, very hard road to get him to his Senior year, but I'm hopeful that it's all down hill from here. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it doesn't seem to be a high speed train that will smush me.

Each year on the first day of school, I have the kids line up in their outfits and pose for pictures. These pictures end up in the family scrapbook. I'm really bummed that this year will be my first year EVER with the kids that I won't be there on the first day of school. I have relegated picture taking duties to Dean. Ironically, Dean is typically gone in the morning by the time the kids have left for school...so I suppose it's his turn.

Every single one of the kids said something like, "What? You won't be here? You are always here on the first day of school. I can't believe you're not going to be here." It bummed me out and warmed my heart at the same time. I'm hopeful that we've established family traditions and routines that they have come to know and expect. "First Day of School" is one of those predictable events. Thanksgiving is another. Halloween is another. Christmas is another. Easter is another. I hope that when they grow up and leave and begin their independent lives which they so desperately crave that they will remember the predictability of some of the things of their youth.

I hope we've done a good enough job teaching them manners, teaching them responsibility, teaching them boundaries. I hope they love our Family Home Evenings. I hope they love "beer and pizza" night. I hope they love Sunday dinners.

I'm not a perfect parent, and if I could re-wind my life to 6 years ago when I first got married, there would be many, many things that I would do differently. I hope the kids forgive me for my failings and remember the better parts. I hope they see their home as a place where they have a dad who loves and adores them more than anything in the world and a step-mom who did the best she could.

I will miss them on Wednesday as they leave for school...a Senior, a Sophomore, an 8th Grader and a 6th Grader. My how time flies! This year Dean will be taking the pictures, but I will cherish all of the "Back to School" days in my memory!

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Wendy. Loved this post. And you are a wonderful step-mom. I admire all you do for and with your wonderful family despite how busy you are. See you in September!

Aleisha Z. Coleman said...

i've said it before and i will say it again and again and again, i think you are a saint.

Lesley said...

I am so impressed with you! You are a great step mom. I was thinking that the other day!! Post those back to school pics!