Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Don't you forget about me...

I'll be alone dancing you know it, baby....

Ah...another influencer of my youth has passed to the other side. John Hughes' movies define my teenage years. I actually saw "Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles," "Pretty in Pink," and "Ferris Buller's Day Off" in the movie theater...first run...none of this retro nostalgic showing on 80's night at the local theater. I had my butt in the seat during the first run. I laughed; I cried. I LOVED John Hughes' movies! I still do.

Every girl I know wanted (in some way) to be Molly Ringwald. Oh how I wished I could do that "lipstick trick." I wanted to kiss Judd Nelson. I wanted to have a cute a-symmetrical hair-do. Oh, how I wanted to be like her! Today, Molly Ringwald is a "mom" in the ABC Family TV show "Secret Life of the American Teenager." That is how my kids know her.....a middle aged mom. To me, she'll always be the girl from Breakfast Club.

Just the other day Dean and I were quoting Breakfast Club, and our 18 year babysitter didn't know the references. She's never seen it. What a shame. I recommended it to her, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I hesitated to recommend it. As a parent, I'm not fond of the language in the film...but what the hell...I heard it back in 80s...and I'm "OK." (For the most part!)

I love James Spader as Alan Shore (Boston Legal), but I still hold a secret grudge for him because of the character he played in "Pretty in Pink." What a punk. All of the girls at my high school wanted to be Molly Ringwald again after this flick. In fact, an entire group of student began wearing abstract 80s outfits inspired by Ringwald's "Pretty in Pink" character. For those of you from PCHS, you'll remember sophomore year...and the Megalos...and perhaps you might even remember the near riot between the stoners and the megs in the Leeway. Ah....life imitating art!

Matthew Broderick as Ferris...classic. Not only did I get to see my favorite parts of Chicago, I still think of the parade scene every time I hear "Twist and Shout." SAVE Ferris.

And "16 Candles." Again...I wanted to be Molly Ringwald. The final scene sequence of that film with the drugged up sister, the girl with the cut hair showing up with Anthony Michael Hall in a convertible....and the hunky guy with the birthday cake. Love it!

Thank you, John Hughes. Thank you for showing in film what was really important to teenagers. Thank you for describing our lives, our issues and our angst. Thank you for movies that I want to watch again and again.

We won't "Forget about you."

1 comment:

Roxanne Blanford said...

Thank you Wendy. Thanks for sharing your special insights about this little piece of cinematic history of OUR generation. LOL...I still can't watch Jon Cryer ("Duckie") as a middle-aged dad on Two and a Half Men without remembering him dancing to Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness" in Pretty in Pink...My heart still breaks during the scene where he's sitting on the mailboxes in the rain, thinking about the girl he loves..wondering, 'for once in my life, let me, let me, get what I want this time...'..ahhh
WriterRoxanne (onTwitter)