Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

My nephew, Cory Lawson, graduated from Limestone High School on Saturday, May 8, 2010. I am so proud of his accomplishment! He is a good kid with a plan and a direction, and I know that he can be anything that he wants to be in this life.


As I sat in his graduation ceremony, I couldn't help but remember my own high school graduation in 1988 from Pekin Community High School. It seems so long ago, and it was. It was the beginning of the rest of my life! I couldn't wait to get out of the house, be on my own, go to college and experience the rest of my life. It has been a phenomenal ride!


I left Illinois 15 years ago, but every time I go back, there is a sense of "home" about it that doesn't compare to anything else. Nothing much ever changes in central Illinois, and the predictability of it is somehow comforting.


So, even though I parked in a FIELD to attend Cory's graduation, it wouldn't have been Illinois if there weren't a field involved. And even though the party guests RAVED about the Avanti's gondolas, it wouldn't have been Illinois if we didn't celebrate with our own version of Italian food. And even though we had WAY too many people in a confined space for the party, it wouldn't be Illinois if it weren't a place that was overflowing with people that I've known and loved my entire life.




I'm proud of you, Cory James Lawson! You're the best nephew that a girl could ask for!

Love, Aunt Wendy

No comments: