Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Where does a genie live?

Tonight we were at dinner at Mimi's Cafe. I had a Cobb Salad with blue cheese dressing (on the side). They delivered it in a container that looked like this: Probably prompted by the shape of the container, Dom asked, "Where do Genie's live?"

I said, "In a bottle?" Because whenever I think of Genies, I think of "I Dream of Jeannie" and something that looks like this:Dom: "Not a bottle!" "Like that (pointing to the salad dressing thing)! A Genie lives in something that looks like a gravy boat." (still pointing at the salad dressing thing) Click HERE to see previous confusion related to a gravy boat.

Me: "Ah, yes, I genie can live in a lamp" (And why I'm pretending like genies exist is an entirely different matter).
She thought we meant a lamp like this:

Or perhaps this:
Since we have one of these up in our house from Thanksgiving to New Year's each year.

We then tried to convince her that something that looked like this:
is actually considered a "lamp."

Me: "Have you heard of the Parable of the 10 Virgins?"
Dom: "No."
Me: (Pointing at Dom) "One." (Then pointing at Elle) "Two."

We had an interesting conversation about oil lamps. For whatever reason, Dom hasn't seen an oil lamp (or if she has, she doesn't remember seeing one). We don't have them at home. My mom used to have them. We had the colored oils and everything. I don't know why we ever used those things. I can't imagine the fire hazard that they were. I don't remember seeing one after about 1979 (or about the time that we got our first CB Radio.....connection? correlative? hummm?)I LOVE having these times with the girls. I'm so glad that Dominique (at the age of 12) still asks questions like "Where does a genie live?" I love that it leads us down unexpected paths of conversation and exploration. When we eat at home, we actually sit around the table and talk; some of my best conversations with the kids happen there. Tonight it was at a restaurant table. This is the fun stuff of life.
Where does a genie live? Why of course, a genie lives in the imagination of a child.

1 comment:

Nikitha said...

mimi's cafe menu is such a wonderful place where you can have delicious food with unique flavors. Diners can experience the taste of the food throughout your meal. They serve homemade sauces and outstanding wine.
Mimi’ Cafe was first opened in Anaheim, California in December 1978. It boasts the quality values like possibility, passion and tries to add these values in food and atmosphere in the restaurant. There are 145 locations in 24 states. The Headquarters of Mimi’s Cafe is located in Dallas, Texas.
Mimi’s Cafe serves the best items from breakfast to tempting desserts. They prepare special items according to the seasons. This food chain offers special items for kids. Moreover, you can find the large collection of Wines, Beers in Mimi’s Cafe.