Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Angels All Around Us

I was up late tonight scanning some family pictures, and I came upon a few pictures from a trip that I made with my mom and my nephew to the Lincoln Memorial in Springfield, Illinois.

Wooohooo...look at that hair...and don't I look oh, so attractive in those jeans.  My nephew, Cory, is probably 11 or 12 in this picture...so that puts this at 8 or 9 years ago...definitely before I was married.  I was surprised that Cory had never been to the Lincoln's Tomb.  You touch his nose for good luck...which also means that a billion germs are on that schnoz. 
As we went into the actual tomb where Lincoln, Mary Todd and three of their children, I told Cory that you had to speak in a whisper out of respect for the dead.  He understood, and he was very respectful.  This is him with his serious face in front of a statute of Lincoln. 
As you can see from the top photo, there are grand staircases that allow you access to the top of the monument.  We climbed to the top of the stairs and while we were up there, Cory said, "Do you hear that Aunt Wendy?"

Me:  "Hear what?"
Cory: "Zoom, Zoom.  There are angels all around us right now.  Can't you hear them?"
Me: Silence.

You know, I didn't hear or feel the angels, but I firmly believe that he did.  The oddest thing was that he had never, ever said anything like that to me before under any circumstance.  Is there any doubt in my mind that there are angels that guard Lincoln's Tomb.  Not one whit or tittle of doubt.

No comments: