Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Oh, how I loved the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics

In a few short months, we will be celebrating the TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY of the Olympics in SLC.  What an AMAZING time! I was never so proud to be from Salt Lake City as I was during the Olympics.  We really got that one right!  I lived downtown in SLC at the time...I mean right in the thick of things, and it was awesome.

I remember that I got back from a trip one night, and as I was driving home, I thought, "Why is everyone waiting for the bus this late at night?"  They weren't waiting for the bus....they were waiting for the Olympic torch to pass by.  I high tailed it home, dumped off my luggage and ran out the front door of my apartment complex.  I stood with my neighbors and cheered as a runner ran on MY street.  Amazing! 

I have so many wonderful, wonderful memories of the 2002 Olympics.  My office is a mini-shrine to those games.  I have a big picture of downtown all decked out, some commemorative photos of winter sports taken in historic Utah geological landmarks and an abstract picture that was part of the arts displays.  People who haven't experienced an Olympics first hand might not even be aware of the arts movement that is part of the Olympics.

On Monday, our local middle school kicked off our "Student Success Week."  We do this every year, and it's is such an important program to our PTA.  We try to educate our 12, 13 and 14 year olds about their options for college and careers.  This program is run by one of our most passionate and dedicated PTA moms.  This year, we were able to get Olympic Gold Medalist, Derek Parra, to speak to our middle school students.

Most of them were too young to remember the games, but his story was one that is timeless and relevant to all age groups.  I really can't do his story justice, so if you have a few minutes, click>> here<< to read about his life.  What was relevant to our school's demographic was this....Derek grew up poor.  His parents were divorced.  He is a Mexican-American (his self-description).  Right there, this describes a large part of our student body.  He grew up at the rollerskating rink trying to pinch pennies to buy a snack after he paid for his admission and rental...again....most of the kids at our middle school have frequented our local roller rink.  They love it!  It's kind of a dive, but who cares! 

He talked about growing up with his dad and his brother and not having sports equipment and having to "make due" with what they could come up with.  He talks about eating Mac 'n Cheese. 

When he was 17, he moved to Florida to train with a real skating coach.  He paid room and board and quickly learned the ways of life.  His coach was not going to give him a free ride.  He had to pay rent, pay for his own food...and ride everywhere on his bicycle.  He found out on day 1 that the practice facility was 32 miles away.  He found out shortly thereafter that he had to get a J-O-B...so he did at McDonald's.  He had no money during the first two weeks that he waited for his paycheck, so he ate the "aged out" sandwiches out of the garbage.

His story, however, is not one of sadness.  It is one of hope and perseverance.  He told the kids that he has only "won" a couple of times in his life but that his failures taught him so much.

 In 2002, the world watched as he broke the record in the Men's 1500 Speed Skating event.  The world smiled and cried as he jumped up and down on the podium and received his Gold medal.  Derek is a great patriot, and he spoke openly about his experiences with 9/11 and his patriotic feelings about being an Olympian, winning the Gold medal and singing...with great pride...the National Anthem.

 I cried at the assembly.  I'm guessing (although I don't know for sure) that some teachers probably did to.  He is such a NICE guy.  Honestly, we chatted it up before the assembly, and he was totally normal and approachable.  He let the kids HANDLE his Olympic medals:  one Silver and one Gold. He showed the video of his winning race, and the kids all clapped and hooted for him.

Can I tell you how awesome it is to be part of a PTA organization that can bring these experiences to our kids!  How awesome it is to be a resident of Utah where I experienced that proverbial "once in a lifetime" Olympic Games in MY town.  How awesome it is to know that the spirit of the Olympics is alive and well and remembered.  And how awesome it is to know men like Derek Parra make a difference in the world.

No comments: