Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

"Homemade" Salad

As you know, Dean and I have joined (re-joined) Weight Watchers, and we've been diligent about eating better. Today I volunteered to make dinner and on the menu was a tossed salad, baked potatoes and pork chops.

Elle helped me make the salad, and in the end, she had to do the whole thing because I cut my finger...and didn't want to bleed on the veggies (yeah, gross, I know...but it would have been grosser had it actually happened.)

Today I actually bought a head of lettuce instead of the salad in a bag. I thought...any way I can save money, and that salad in a bag can be expensive and doesn't taste fresh to me. I taught her how to core the lettuce without a knife, and she was amazed. I then told her in my best Martha Stewart like voice that you always tear lettuce and never, never cut it with knife.

She was really getting into her first lettuce ripping experience when she said, "So, are we making homemade salad then?" I laughed and laughed. Poor kid. Everything comes out of a bag, and when you actually spend more than 20 seconds making something, she thinks it's "homemade." Ah, the "instant generation."

2 comments:

Melissa said...

So how do you core the lettuce without a knife?

Wendy said...

Oh...you push the core side down on the counter...give it a litte pressure, and viola...the core comes right out! I learned that from Mrs. Schneider...my 7th grade home ec teacher :-)