Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

I have a love-hate relationship with Mother's Day

For years and years I hated Mother's Day. When I was single and childless, it just heightened my awareness of my life status. A few years ago at church, a kind woman mentioned me in her Mother's Day talk mentioning how I'd been a good mother-like figure for her daughter. I was deeply touched. This was before I was married.

Today at church, my neighbor gave a talk about "Woman's Day"...choosing to rename it as to not isolate those who are not mothers. We all have a mom. Every single one of us does. Some of us like our mothers. Some of us live a lifetime trying to forget the hurt caused by our mothers. To some, mothers are friends. To others, mothers are tolerated. Regardless of how you feel about your mom, you still have one.

Mother's Day is a mixed blessing. It's nice to be honored for one day, and I'll take what I can get. However, I don't need a day of the year declared as a holiday to remind me that I'm a mom. I have four step kids. They are wonderful, awful, funny, sneaky, talented, beautiful, sloppy, thoughtful, funny....and many, many more adjectives. I'm their parent....no matter what day of the year it is.

I have laundry, dishes, schedules to manage, games to attend, rides to give, homework to help with, meals to prepare, discipline to give, hugs to give, shopping to do, and prayers to say on their behalf every day of my life. I don't need a day to remind me of my motherhood. I feel unappreciated most days. Over worked some days. Worried constantly....and a whole host of other emotions that mothers will understand. Bradley, Mariah, Elle and Dominique did not have to be born of my womb in order for me to love them, care for them, worry about them and hope for them to become the best people that they can possibly be.

Sister: Ri, Elle, Domi

So, I hate Mother's Day. Every day is my mothers day. I love Mother's Day. It helps remind kids to be appreciative and honor their moms...whoever those women may be in their lives.

My gorgeous flowers courtesy of a talented local florist named Karlie Badger.

I received wonderful flowers from my dear husband. He also made me a lovely meal with tremendous help from my thoughtful Elle. Thanks to you all. I love you! Wendy

Me and the flowers (notice a sink full of dishes in the background! ;-)

Yummy Dinner of Chicken and Risotto!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wendy, You are a wonderful mother to all of your kids. Iam greatful that you choose to take on the challenge of raising them all. I know the job is a great one and one day they will realize what a great mother they had to look after them and guide them. We are greatful you are in our family.
Love Michelle

Karlie said...

Great post. Thanks for the plug. I am glad you liked your flowers.