Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

A tribute to my friend, Wendy

It has been 7 years since my dear friend, Wendy Sue Huntsman, unexpectedly passed away when she was just 40 years old. I can't believe how quickly these years have gone by, and I can't believe how much I still miss her. I met Wendy when I began working at the University of Utah in 1996, and we eventually became good friends.

I loved working with her! We had so many good times together.

I loved hearing her talk about her family. She loved her son, Ethan, so much! In fact, on her voice mail, she kept an old message from him. She would listen to it from time to time, and it would always make her smile. I remember her courtship with Doug and their beautiful wedding.

Wendy and I would spend time making handmade cards for nearly every holiday you could imagine. I think on our last really long stint we had breakfast, lunch and dinner at her house. We would send Doug on food runs for us. My bum hurt so bad from sitting that Wendy bought me a special cushion! We loved our marathon "stamping sessions!" (We even went to two stamping conventions in Las Vegas! Wendy talked me out of blowing all of my money at the blackjack table and played "dealer" for me for over an hour!)

What I miss most about Wendy is that she was such a good listener. She was one of the people that I called when I was sad and when I was happy. I told her almost every aspect of my life. For months and years after she passed, I thought, "Oh, I wish I could pick up the phone and call Wendy." As crazy as this sounds, sometimes I just talk out loud to her. I believe that her spirit lives on, and while I know she can't answer me, I know that we are never too far from those we love.

A few years ago, I visited Wendy's grave. I missed her so much. I wrote her a letter, brought her favorite flowers (pink carnations) and sat down beside her and had a good, long talk.

The last time I saw Wendy was about a week before her death. Her son, Ethan, had been at my house for a small Halloween party that we hosted for Bradley. I took Ethan home, and I was going to just drop him off and leave. "Something" told me to go in and say hello, and I did. I spent some time talking with her and being in awe that we had sons that were the same age (at that time, I had only been Bradley's' step mom for a few WEEKS!) We talked about having Bradley spend some time at their house with Ethan. I miss that we never got to share those moments...and that I haven't had her to talk me through all of my trials as a mom.

I miss her deeply. I look forward to a day that I will see her again! Wendy Sue Huntsman was such a great lady who influenced more people than I think she'll ever know.

Life is a blessing, and unexpected circumstances can take our loved ones away. Don't hesitate to tell someone you care about that you love them! Don't save hugs for tomorrow. If you feel "something" that tells you to pick up the phone and call someone, do it! I miss you, Wendy Sue I!

Love,
Wendy Sue II

No comments: