Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm proud of the kiddos...

I left Edmonton, Canada VERY early this morning. My flight landed at 8:25 AM and by 9:15 or so, I was at home. The girls were all up (still in PJs) with the TV turned on waiting for me to watch the Inauguration.

I had already told them that I didn't want anyone going anywhere on Tuesday. I told them we were going to watch it, but I honestly expected a bit of a protest. No one complained...not even a little bit.

I think that they knew it was important to me. I also think they knew on a greater scale that it was important. I don't know if they truly understand "why" it's so important, but they sense the energy. They were amazed by the number of people (as was I).

They listened patiently as I pointed out who was who in the crowd, how the process of the inauguration would go, and my Washington, D.C. geography lesson. After President Obama's speech, Elle said, "is that all we have to watch."

I said, "Yep, you're free to go clean your room now." To which Mariah and Domi said, "I think I'll watch some more."

I hope that years from now that they'll remember that we watched the Inauguration together. I remember my first Inauguration. It was Jimmy Carter in 1977. My 1st Grade reading teacher rolled in the TV and had us watch it. We were first graders, and I still remember that. The year before in Kindergarten, I had been part of a school-wide 1976 Bi-centennial program where I learned all of the patriotic hymns. I still remember every, single word. I firmly believe that we are influenced by trusted adults at an early age, and my love for my country was definitely affected from the time I was very young.

Maybe years from now my grandchildren will not understand why "judging a man by the content of his character, not the color of his skin" is even an issue....because it will be something that is standard. Maybe a generation from now we will no longer define individuals by their race, gender, religion, or sexual preference. I sure do hope so!

For today, I will celebrate that part of the dream has been fulfilled, and this enables us to continue to dream. I'm very excited to see what we can dream and what we can do!!!

No comments: